What leads to Rhinoplasty?
Most commonly known as Cosmetic surgery, many individuals turn to Rhinoplasty for several reasons as indicated below;
- Alter the angle of the nose
- Alter the size
- Narrow the nostrils
- Reshape the tip of the nose
- Straighten the bridge of the nose
- Attain utmost beauty and satisfaction
- Correct medical issues (breathing concerns)
- Restore the nose after an injury or fatal accident
Rhinoplasties are performed at any age, but for some reason, the medical professional may advise you to wait until your nasal bone is fully developed. Unless it is a medical emergency, then a nose job can be performed at a tender age
Before the Rhinoplasty Surgery
You will have to consult a Plastic Surgeon for an evaluation, have a physical examination, and also discuss your goals for the surgery. You will have to discuss your medical history with the surgeon. The surgeon will observe your skin and the shape of your nose in order to determine the changes required or that need to be done. Blood tests may be required. Photographs of your nose will be taken from different angles which will be compared or used as an assessment after the surgery. Rhinoplasty may be performed alongside other plastic surgeries like chin augmentation or facial lifting, so you will have to inform the surgeon about your desires
Preparing for the Surgery
Just like any other surgery, Rhinoplasty Surgery in India shouldn’t be taken for granted. It is recommended that you follow your surgeon’s instructions to avoid complications. In case you are a smoker, it is advisable to quit smoking for at least a month since nicotine constricts blood vessels, reduces oxygen supply and it is completely a life-threatening issue. Avoid painkillers, aspirins, and supplements since they may reduce the rate of blood clotting.
The procedure of Rhinoplasty
- It is an outpatient procedure performed under either local anesthesia or general anesthesia
- Local anesthesia is usually used in case of a simple Rhinoplasty procedure and you may receive medication through an IV line that will put you off slightly, but with the general anesthesia, you will completely be off (unconscious)
- The surgeon will then cut in between or inside your nostrils. The surgeon will separate the skin from the cartilage or the bone and begin reshaping (contouring) your nose.
- If more cartilage is required, the doctor will improvise from other areas like the ears, and also bone grafting may also be done.
The surgery lasts depending on the amount of work to be done.
Post-operative treatment and recovery after Rhinoplasty
- A plastic or metal splint will be placed on the nose to achieve the new intended shape. The nasal packs or splints may also be placed inside your nostril to stabilize the septum
- You will be directed to sleep while your head is elevated.
- If absorbable stitches were used, you will require no removal procedure, but if removal ones were used, you will have to report back to the surgeon for them to be removed