Gynaecomastia is a condition in which firm breast tissues develop in males. The breast tissue is usually less than 1-1/2 inches across and is located directly under the nipple. Gynaecomastia may be present on one side or on both sides. This condition may make the breast tender. Some men and boys have fat on their chests that makes it look like they have breasts.
What are the causes of Gynaecomastia?
- Gynaecomastia is usually caused by changes in hormones at puberty or as part of ageing.
- Gynaecomastia may be caused by changes in the balance of two hormones, estrogen and testosterone. In rare cases, gynaecomastia is caused by prescription drugs, over-the-counter medicines, illegal drugs, tumors or disease.
- Gynaecomastia is not a disease but a symptom of an underlying condition or problem. It occurs as a result of an increase in the ratio of estrogens (female hormone) to androgens (male hormone) in men.
- Being overweight can also cause the increased size breasts as excess weight can also increase the level of Estrogen that can lead to growth of breast tissue.
- This condition may also happen in newborn baby boys as Estrogen passes from mother to child. But this condition is temporary and remains for few weeks only.
- Sometime during puberty hormone level can vary and then level of male sex hormone can drop so result in the increased sized breasts.
- With the age production ability for the testosterone get disturbed and even older men can have more body fat so they may also suffer from this condition.
- This condition may also occur due to the side effects of the medications like anti-ulcer drugs or drugs for heart diseases.
- Excessive consumption of alcohol and drug abuse can also cause imbalance of hormone so lead to this condition.
- Genetic disorder.
- Kidney failure or liver disease can also cause this problem.
How to diagnose Gynaecomastia?
The doctor will ask questions about the symptoms, such as how long the patient has had the breast tissue, and whether or not the area is tender. The doctor will also ask about the illnesses the person has had in the past, the medicines taken, and other matters relating to health. Then there is a physical examination. Whether one needs tests depends on the age, medical history and physical examination. If one is a teenager, tests are not needed, since gynaecomastia is common in teenage boys.
It is the surgery of few hours that help the patient to get the desired shape and size of breasts. This surgery is done under the anesthesia so that male can have painless and comfortable surgery. In this male breast reduction surgery the excess fat and tissue is removed by making the small incision and then after removal of excess skin the incision is closed with stitches. After the surgery patient get recover in few weeks and can have noticeable change in breast size without being detected by anyone. After few days as per doctor’s recommendation patient can resume his daily activities and work. This surgery give the safe and lifetime results as after surgery chances for reoccurrence of this condition become next to zero.